Numéro d’inventaire : # 6
Commune : Crozant
Visibility : Cross visible from a public space
Presence of cupule : yes
Presence in the Napoleonic map : yes
Reference in the Napoleonic map : sheet 1865/3
- height : 75 cm
- length of arms : 49 cm
- thickness : 44 cm
Dating ? Function ?
To find out more, let's dig into the depths of the territory's history...
After having disappeared some forty years ago, it was returned and reinstalled according to the advice of the Territorial Service of Architecture and Heritage.
It is clearly shown as a malted cross on the Napoleonic map (sheet 1865/3).
Cupule of 5 cm in diameter and 2 cm deep.
* Characteristics recorded in 2013 by Noëlle BERTRAND and François TABOURDEAU
Restoration / Repairs
Date of restoration and/or repairs :
The cross was originally on the right hand side of the hamlet road and not on the left.
It was placed there for reasons of protection.
It was put back in place by the roadworkers of Crozant.
The foot seems to have been broken and then repaired with cement.
(the date of this work is to be determined)
How it was made
Granite is ubiquitous here, it is everywhere in the fields
Each of the inventoried crosses was made by a different stonemason.
Cependant, il semble qu’ils aient utilisé the same model ou “patron”.
Each carver made his sculpture from some local granite stone known as a fieldstone.
Find out more with l’expertise de Didier Fauguet, stone sculptor and carver.
Les croix de type Crozant sont implantées entre Oïl and Oc sur le territoire du “croissant marchois”.
This cross is located at the end of the road leading to Puybaron.